Does your wheelchair have dirty wheels and do you want to how to clean wheelchair wheels? Then you are at the right place because we prepare a proper guide for you in which you know everything about cleaning wheelchairs wheels.
Most of the time the wheels of your wheelchair likely get dirt and mud over time and that mud, dirt, and mud dust get stuck on your wheelchair mostly in winter and rainy seasons. Using your wheelchair in those places gathers debris and dirt whenever your wheelchair rolls on it and it carries that stuff inside your doorways you won’t protect your carpets and floor from debris, grime, and stains which is why the caring wheelchair is important.
Now the problem can be solved by inspecting your wheels whenever you come into your home and taking anything that is stuck on it. You should do it in front of your door at the doormat and then clean that place with a vacuum cleaner.
You take the dirt and dust which can be visible to you but most of the time the wheelchair takes a lot of debris and can only be cleaned by washing the wheelchair wheels. I have a proper written procedure about how to clean wheelchair wheels so let’s jump to it.
There cleaning process is not only limited to the wheels of a wheelchair but you also need to clean your wheelchair too. I defined both the cleaning processes that how to clean wheelchair wheels and how to clean a power wheelchair so let’s get to it.
How to Clean Wheelchair Wheels:
How to clean a wheelchair? Well, Most of the time wheelchair wheels get dirty and you never know what kind of crap you rolling over so you need to clean your wheelchair wheels after some time.
Down blew is the best way to clean wheelchair wheel of your manual wheelchair. So let’s get to it.
- The first step is to take all the removable parts of the wheelchair like the footrest and leg rest.
- If you can remove the wheels then it becomes easy to wash them alone but if you don’t then you need to unscrew those parts that can be removed easily and don’t need to get wet.
- Do not take a bucket of warm water put some detergent or soap in the water and mix it properly.
- Do not take a towel start cleaning the wheels of the wheelchair of dirt, dust, and mud.
- You can also use a brush if it’s hard and doesn’t come off easily. There are a lot of types of brushes and some of them are also electrical.
- Use a damp towel to clean between the around wheel and the spokes of the wheel. If you feel necessary you can unscrew the bolts and scrub them with a toothbrush or a wire brush to remove any build-up grease and dirt.
- Now take a brush to clean the tires of your wheelchair’s wheels and if you want shining tires clean them with tire cleaner for extra shine.
- After that, you take a clean and dry towel to dry the wheels and tires which prevents them from corrosion and rust.
- Now it’s time for assembly and put back all those parts which you remove at the beginning of the washing process.
Note: washing process of electric wheelchair wheels is the same as the standard wheelchair. If you remove the wheels from the wheelchair then it’s easy but it can’t remove all the power supplies and motors before starting to wash them. If you have any questions about wheelchair tire cleaners then ask them in the comment section below and I’ll make sure to solve it for you.
How to Clean Wheelchair:
If you use your wheelchair only indoors in your narrow doorways then you probably don’t need to clean your wheelchair but in a situation, where you use it in everyday use and most of the time is for outdoor purposes then you really need to clean your wheelchair after some time.
- The First step is to check the wheelchair for removable parts. If a wheelchair has any removable parts like a footrest, leg rest, etc. then remove it and you will wash it alone.
- The next step is disassembling the wheelchair by removing most of the parts which can be removed easily like seats and any sort of cushions.
- Do not use compressed air to clean the dirt from the wheelchair between crevices and wheel spokes. Most of these dirt, clumps, and debris can have a great impact on your wheelchair’s mobility.
- Now it’s time to wash it. Take a bucket filled with warm water and mix some dish soap in it.
- Now take a microfiber towel dip it into the soapy water wring that towel across the wheelchair frame gently and make sure to clean it properly.
- Instead of dish soap, you can also use antibacterial cleaner. But avoid the products which have petroleum because that can damage your wheelchair frame.
- Take another towel to clean just dampen it but not soak it completely and clean the wheels’ spokes and the around area.
- The next step is to dry the wheelchair and it can be done with a clean towel. Drying the wheelchair is really important because it prevents its bolts and frame from corrosion and rust.
- It’s time to clean the removed parts. So you can clean it with your hand and some detergent and after that clean it like the wheelchair.
- You can also wash the cushion in the dryer and machine washer in the manufacturer noted it otherwise you damage it.
- Not reassemble the wheelchair back and also put the removed part back.
Note: This process is also the same for the power or electric wheelchair but before washing, you need to remove all the electric parts first. If you can remove the electric parts by yourself then you should ask to leave them for the professionals.
A wheelchair gets a lot of dirt and debris whenever you roll over the different terrains and it doesn’t seem as nice as it looks before. So, for that purpose, you need to know how to clean wheelchair wheels. The clean wheelchair wheels not only get your old wheelchair back but also improve its performance.
If you have any sort of query in your mind about cleaning wheelchair wheel cleaners or how to keep wheelchair wheels clean then please let me know in the comment section and I will answer you as soon as possible.
In the end, I just want to say that nature is very precious and our next generation is based on it so please protect it from destruction by polluting it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Can I use to Clean my Wheelchair Wheels?
You need to use any type of brush, or broom to clean your wheelchair wheels. If you using a brush then make sure that the bristles are stiff so you can clean the dirt and debris easily with it. After that, you clean and wipe the extra dust with a cloth.
How do you Clean Wheelchair Casters?
First off all you need to remove the front caster from a wheelchair then use the brush to clean all the dust and debris from it. You can also water because with help of water all of the debris can come off easily. After cleaning the overall caster put it back into the wheelchair.
How do you Maintain Wheelchair Wheels?
First of all, check the wheelchair of a wheelchair if it is worn or damaged then replace it with a new one. then check the bearing in every wheelchair if it has a bearing issue then fix it by adding a new bearing. To maintain the overall wheelchair you need to keep it clean from dust and debris.